Wednesday 21 March 2012

Northern Quarter

 

My work for this project is based around the Northern Quarter in Manchester. I have been visiting there a lot and looking for inspirational things to inspire my work. A lot of the old architecture and street art has caught my eye. It is a very unique place with a lot of character. There are many small galleries hidden down back streets and tucked under cafes. I have been viewing a lot of Manchester based art and trying to collate a good understanding of what the artists are trying to convey from this place.

Doing research online has also benefited my understanding of this area. I know that the area was a strong point in the industrial revolution, which is clear when walking around all the warehouses and old buildings. These have been converted into studio spaces, vintage shope and record places. One of my favourite places is a little craft centre, which is an old fish market that has been converted. These spaces have been rented for independant artists, allowing them to sell their work and also allowing the public to observe how they create their pieces.

This video is a good visual back up for the information I have found, showing some of the places around Northen Quarter that I have been interested in. The first half focusses on the art and music side of the area. It shows the art and talks about the scene of this part of Manchester. The more research I do into this place, the more of an identity it is having. Its very cultural based and filled with hidden pockets of art and textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment